As stated eloquently by a recreational therapist at the NIH Clinical Center in the Rehabilitation Medicine Department, "Therapy dogs make a powerful connection with patients, giving them unconditional love. The emotional and physical comfort they provide is unlike any other."
Furthermore the Mayo Clinic reinforces that animal-assisted therapy can significantly reduce pain, anxiety, depression and fatigue in people with a range of health problems:
- Children having dental procedures
- People receiving cancer treatment
- People in long-term care facilities
- People hospitalized with chronic heart failure
- Veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder
Pictures of Chi the Maryland Health and Wellness Therapy Dog